The technology and medical community were abuzz with the latest release of the Apple Watch – particularly the ECG functionality – wondering the impact this wearable device would have on hospital admissions. In this episode, hosts Reed Smith and Chris Boyer revisit the topic of wearables and medical devices, discussing how the FDA categorizes “general wellness products” vs.regulated medical devices. They also review research on if wearables actually improve people’s health and what people’s attitude are on trackable wellness devices. Featuring a “replay” of an expert interview with Dana M. Lewis, in which she discusses the #OpenAPS community and the #WeAreNotWaiting movement.
Mentions from the Show:
- Whitepaper: Is Your Wearable a Regulated Medical Device?
- Twitter thread on the “approval” of the Apple Watch as an EKG device
- The New EKG Apple Watch Could Do More Harm Than Good
- How effective are wearable devices?
- The Future Of Medical Technology: Wearable Devices [Infographic]
- Dana M. Lewis on Twitter