There are multiple ways we use the internet to track our health and interact with care providers. This digital footprint has proven to be a pro and con to those working in the industry. CIOs and those in IT at hospitals and health systems have long been concerned with HIPAA and PHI data security. In this episode, hosts Chris Boyer and Reed Smith discuss how “ransomware” – one of the most pressing threats to the healthcare industry – has evolved over the years and how health systems today are responding to these cybersecurity threats. Our interview with John Mason of OakHorn Solutions in which he shares his experience working with hospital leaders on how to best prepare for malware/ransomware threats.
Mentions from the Show:
- Michael Venske’s website
- The Hidden Data Economy: The Marketplace for Stolen Digital Information whitepaper
- I Feel Nothing: The Home Depot Hack and Data Breach Fatigue
- Wikipedia definition of Ransomware
- A History of Ransomware Attacks
- You Should Share Your Health Data: Its Value Outweighs the Privacy Risk
- How Much is Your Health Data Worth?
- John Mason on LinkedIn
- John Mason on Twitter
- OakHorn Solutions